Image Comics’ 25th Anniversary Blind Box Variant Rarity Revealed!
Much has been speculated on and debated over the contents of the highly-anticipated Image Comics 25th Anniversary Blind Boxes, out with today’s new comic book Wednesday releases. Image Comics teased some super rare comic book variants and sketches and low print run issues but not exactly what they were. In addition, they also gave the ratios and rarities numbers for some of the books that people have a chance of getting.
Here’s Negan #1, for example, has 500 copies included amongst the 1,992 boxes available. This is the first and only time that the Negan origin story originally printed in Image+ magazine will be printed together as one book. Interestingly, there is already a graded 9.8 yellow label copy up on eBay for sale (But that will be another story for another time…let’s take a look at the list)
IMAGE COMICS PRESS RELEASE
July 18, 2017 – Image Comics is pleased to reveal the ratio of rarity (are you feelin’ lucky?) of the variants that fans have a chance of receiving enclosed in their IMAGE COMICS 25TH ANNIVERSARY BLIND BOX.
Each IMAGE COMICS 25TH ANNIVERSARY BLIND BOX will contain an assortment of 25 polybagged comics drawing from a selection of six different limited edition variants of the 17 all-new 2017 series that are only available within this box. Each comic will be bagged in opaque black poly to keep every comic a surprise.
Each box could include randomized variants of the following series’ debut issues:
- CURSE WORDS #1 by Charles Soule & Ryan Browne
- DIVIDED STATES OF HYSTERIA #1 by Howard Chaykin
- ETERNAL EMPIRE #1 by Jonathan Luna & Sarah Vaughn
- EXTREMITY #1 by Daniel Warren Johnson
- GOD COUNTRY #1 by Donny Cates & Geoff Shaw
- GRRL SCOUTS: MAGIC SOCKS #1 by Jim Mahfood
- PAKLIS #1 by Dustin Weaver
- PLASTIC #1 by Doug Wagner & Daniel Hillyard
- REDNECK #1 by Donny Cates & Lisandro Estherren
- REGRESSION #1 by Cullen Bunn & Danny Luckert
- ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN #1 by Kyle Starks
- ROSE #1 by Meredith Finch & Ig Guara
- ROYAL CITY #1 by Jeff Lemire
- SUN BAKERY #1 by Corey Lewis
- THE FEW #1 by Sean Lewis & Hayden Sherman
- THE OLD GUARD #1 by Greg Rucka & Leandro Fernandez
- Rob Liefeld’s YOUNGBLOOD #1 by Chad Bowers & Jim Towe
- As well as the exclusive HERE’S NEGAN #1 by Robert Kirkman & Charlie Adlard
Each of the 17 series has six variants. With the inclusions of THE WALKING DEAD: HERE’S NEGAN limited edition variant, there are 103 total possible variants included across all 1,992 boxes. Those wanting to complete the full set have quite the challenge facing them. Given that there are only 25 comics per box, fans will need more than one box to collect them all, and some could have pretty rare odds. Below are the known individual odds for each of the 17 titles six variants.
And the following is a list of the randomized variants of the series with the likelihood of getting them in your box’s mix:
- 25th anniversary-branded variant cover — 1/26
- B&W 25th anniversary-branded cover — 1/102
- Virgin (art-only covers without trade dress) 25th anniversary-branded cover — 1/170
- Virgin (art-only covers without trade dress) B&W 25th anniversary cover — 1/511
- Blank wraparound sketch cover — 1/1,022
- Extremely rare sketch covers drawn by each series artists—25 copies per series of the 17 selected launches — 1/2,043
- Exclusive THE WALKING DEAD: HERE’S NEGAN! #1—the first 24 pages of Negan’s origin story printed in single-issue-format for the first and only time. — 500 copies total printed