It’s been a year since I started this column and I wanted to thank everyone who followed me on my journey through the trials and tribulations of being an indie comic creator. I met many fellow creators and shared our personal struggles together. It was a busy year traveling cons, doing signings, promoting books and working on comics. Here are some of the highlights over the past year.
1. This is the one that started it all. Not only was it the first column I wrote here at ComicBooked, but it was also the first edition of comic confidential.
2. Networking is one of the most importing things to do as a indie comic creator. I met Mark Poulton through my time at Arcana. This little interview I did with him was one of my favorites. Mark is on the edge of superstardom. He’s one of the new crop of indie creators that have gone on to work at DC comics. He’s a true inspiration for me.
3. My trip to the New York Comic Con was a epic experience. It was the first time I had a table at the Con and I also did a book signing at the Arcana booth. Lets not forget the amount of awesome cosplay pics I took. I can’t wait to do it again next year. You can find my two part column here and here.
4. Speaking of Cons, I also sojourned to the Baltimore comic con this year as well. I almost didn’t even make it out alive from that one. It was a great con with great fans.
5. The rise of digital comics took extra lengths in the industry this year. There were some doomsayers and naysayers, almost like the Mayan Apocalypse. I talked about the future of digital and how to save print.
There’s a lot of things I’m excluding from this list, but I hope I can do another top 5 for next year. I have a lot of new adventures, new insights and new comics I’m working on. My second graphic novel, Flee, is being collected in a trade paperback early in 2013 and my new book, Technomancer, is coming out later in that year as well. Now I’m not hoping to be a indie comic creator forever. Hopefully one day I’ll graduate to the big leagues. If that ever does happen I hope to share that journey right here in this column and beyond.
Congrats on a great year. Here's to 2013 being even bigger and better!
ah, I remember my first article, good times.
Awesome year. Cheers!
Comments are closed.