Since we kicked off this ongoing series leading up to and beyond the next Saga installment “The Last Jedi” some additional news has come down the proverbial turnpike.
So let’s get right in to it.
1. The first cast photograph for the Han Solo anthology film was released via Twitter this week. It came from the official Star Wars Twitter account with the tag line “Han Solo – Smuggler. Scoundrel. Hero. A new Star Wars Story begins.”
We get our first look at the new actor who will be portraying the venerable Wookie named Chewbacca. He is a Finnish basketball player – turned actor – named Joonas Suotamo. “Chewbacca is one of the most iconic characters in the history of film, and Peter’s development and portrayal of this beloved Wookie has spread so much joy around the globe,” said Suotamo at the time that his casting was announced. Similar to the support role that the new R2D2 actor played to Kenny Baker, Suotamo was also in support and as a body double on The Force Awakens. So, it’s not his first time stepping in to Peter Mayhew’s iconic character but it will be his first time fully credited for the role.
The as-yet-unnamed Han Solo film began filming on February 10 2017 in England at the famous Pinewoods Studios lot. Written by the Kasdans and Executive Produced by Kathleen Kennedy, the movie is scheduled for wide release on May 25, 2018.
2. Regarding The Last Jedi, IMAX has issued a press statement HERE telling us of a multi-year deal with Disney. Select scenes in The Last Jedi, Han Solo and Episode IX will be shot using IMAX cameras and remasters in post-production using IMAX DMR (Digital Remastering) technology.
From the release:
“Following J.J. Abrams’ iconic use of IMAX® cameras in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the companies have also announced that director Rian Johnson has captured key sequences of Star Wars: The Last Jedi using IMAX’s extremely high-resolution cameras, delivering IMAX audiences greater scope and increased image quality in IMAX’s exclusive aspect ratio for a uniquely immersive experience. Additionally, as previously announced, Avengers: Infinity War and the untitled Avengers sequel will be shot in their entirety by The Russo Brothers with IMAX® cameras.”
3. We’ll close out this week’s updates with a theory that has emerged recently: Kylo Ren will find Darth Vader’s lightsaber when he travels to Mustafar, the volatile, volcanic planet where he once dueled fiercely with Obi-Wan. The theory goes on to say that the reason Vader’s castle appeared in Rogue One was to re-introduce the location to this new audience and set it up as a location that will feature in TLJ.
Interesting, at the very least.
4. Home release for Rogue One: A Star War Story has been revealed. On March 24th, the movie will be available in DigitalHD while the Blue-Ray/DVD version will become available for purchase on April 4th 2017.
According the Deadline, the Bonus material available with the movie will be as follows:
- A Rogue Idea – Hear how ILM’s John Knoll came up with the movie’s concept – and why it’s the right film to launch the Star Wars stand-alone films.
- Jyn: The Rebel – Get to know Rogue One’s defiant, resourceful survivor, and hear what it was like for Felicity Jones to bring her to life onscreen.
- Cassian: The Spy – Diego Luna shares insights into his complex, driven character, who becomes a hero through selflessness, perseverance and passion.
- K-2SO: The Droid – Explore the development of this reprogrammed Imperial droid, from initial pitch and character design through Alan Tudyk’s performance.
- Baze & Chirrut: Guardians of the Whills – Go deeper into the relationship between these two very different characters, with Chinese superstars Jiang Wen and Donnie Yen.
- Bodhi & Saw: The Pilot & The Revolutionary – Forest Whitaker and Riz Ahmed reflect on Saw Gerrera, the broken Rebel leader, and Bodhi Rook, the Imperial pilot who defects.
- The Empire – Meet a dangerous new Imperial adversary…and cross paths once more with the most iconic villain of all time.
- Visions of Hope: The Look of “Rogue One” – The filmmakers describe the challenges and thrills of developing a bold new look for the movie that can fit within the world of the original trilogy.
- The Princess & The Governor – See what it took to bring the vibrant young princess of “Star Wars: A New Hope” – as well as one of her most memorable foes – back to the screen.
- Epilogue: The Story Continues – Filmmakers and cast celebrate Rogue One’s premiere and look forward into the future, to the Star Wars stories yet to be told.
- Rogue Connections – Uncover Easter eggs and film facts hidden throughout the movie that connect “Rogue One” to the Star Wars universe.
Stay tuned to comicbooked next week for another dose of Star Wars news and updates!